Monday, October 20, 2014

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies




These are my family's favorite cookie this time of year.  To be honest, they are probably my family's favorite cookie any time of the year, but it just seems right to eat them in the fall.  You can make really simple and tasty cookies by:
Mixing 1 vegan boxed white cake mix + spiced can of pumpkin + vegan chocolate chips,
-Or-
Mixing 1 vegan boxed spice cake mix + regular can of pumpkin + vegan chocolate chips,
-Or-
Mixing 1 vegan boxed white cake mix + regular can of pumpkin + cinnamon, ginger, cloves (as written below) + vegan chocolate chips.

I've made multiple batches of pumpkin cookies over the years, using various methods.  Out of the 3 methods listed above, my family liked the 3rd the best (where I add in the spices myself).  I've since substituted the boxed white cake mix for the first 4 ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) listed below.  I did this to have a consistent recipe, and to be able to make these cookies even if I don't have a cake mix (plus no label-checking boxes at the store).  The recipe I've come up with below is my family's absolute favorite.

Vegan chocolate chips can be found at just about any store.  Trader Joe's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips are vegan, and there is also a cheap generic brand I've found at my local Smiths.

This recipe will make approximately 26 cookies.  I hope that you enjoy them as much as we do.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
15 oz can of pumpkin (plain - not spiced)
1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips

Directions:
1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2.  Combine all the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves).
3.  Thoroughly mix the pumpkin into the dry ingredients, making sure there are no pockets of dry ingredients that can be seen in the dough.
4.  Mix in the chocolate chips.
5.  Spoon dough onto a non-stick cookie sheet.  Each portion of dough should be around the size of a golf ball.
6.  Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes.
7.  Cool and enjoy.  I think they are even better the next day, but sometimes it is hard to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment